New Drone Laws
New drone regulations come into force as of the 13th March this year. The recently imposed restriction on drone flight within 1km from the outer boundary of a protected aerodrome
Pluscarden Abbey, Moray
23rd August 2018
Pluscarden Abbey, 6 miles south of Elgin by the Black Burn in Moray is the only medieval monastary in Britain that is still used in it original purpose by the resident Catholic Benedictine Monks.
Founded in 1230 by King Alexander II of Scotland for the Valliscaullian Order before becoming a Benedictine house after merging with the Priory of Urquhart in 1454.
Pluscarden Abbey is a Roman Catholic Benedictine monastery located in the glen of the Black Burn about 10 kilometres south-west of Elgin, in Moray, Scotland. It has been for most of its history a priory and was founded in 1230 by Alexander II of Scotland for the Valliscaulian Order.
In 1454, following a merger with the priory of Urquhart, a cell of Dunfermline Abbey, Pluscarden Priory became a Benedictine House. The years immediately preceding the Scottish Reformation, and those after, saw the decline of the priory. By 1680 it was in a ruinous condition. Some work to arrest decay took place in the late 19th century. In 1948 the priory sprang into new life as a house of the Subiaco Cassinese Congregation of Benedictines, and restoration began at the hands of monks from Prinknash in Gloucestershire. In 1966 the priory received its independence from the mother-house; it was elevated to abbatial status in 1974.